You must admit, social media has taken the world by storm. Its presence in the lives of people across the globe is growing every day and businesses have grown and shrunk due to social media engagements. Considering the growth of social media and its future, what does the Bible say about social media?
Today, you can have a conversation with someone across the globe in a matter of moments. A few months ago, I had conversations with people in at least 12 different states, China, Japan, Sweden, England and a few other countries in just one day. We do live in an amazing world. It was not too long ago communication for many was a phone call or a letter. Today, communication occurs through our mobile phones, desktop computers, laptops, tablets and even the watch you may wear. Our availability of communication has increased, but has our communication?
So, what does the Bible say about social media?
First, the Bible does not specifically discuss social media, but its words were written long before the age of the internet. However, people were social and interacted with each other. They interacted in the marketplace, the synagogue, the temple and in their homes. Their relationships were personal and tangible.
Second, consider a few verses from the Bible when you post:
- “Gracious words are like a honeycomb, sweetness to the soul and health to the body.” (Proverbs 16.24)
- “Whoever guards his mouth preserves his life; he who opens wide his lips comes to ruin.” (Proverbs 13.3.)
- “A gentle tongue is a tree of life, but perverseness in it breaks the spirit.” (Proverbs 15.4)
- “Whoever belittles his neighbor lacks sense, but a man of understanding remains silent.” (Proverbs 11.12)
- “Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him.” (Proverbs 26.4)
- Remember who and whose you are
- Remind yourself that you are a light that shines
- Write the post then reflect on it before posting it
- Remember, social media is not the greatest thing ever. Jesus is.
Just some thoughts,